June 1, 2010

Shelter night - Finally!


Well after not being able to get to the shelter last week I was thrilled to get there today.

Bullet is still looking for a Rescue group to take him in. It is suspected he may not pass his behavior test when it comes to taking away his food or toy. I really it just matters WHO does it and HOW they do it. Bullet will give me his toy if I ask nicely and offer a trade of another toy (higher or lower value is no concern to him) and I always praise him and give him a little treat.


Isn't he just the cutest? He is a very smart boy that is learning to walk nicely on a lead using the Balance Leash Plus. I don't have a harness small enough for him yet.

Honey is another special project of mine. When I first met Honey months ago I never guessed she would make it to Adoptions. Why? Because she is frightened of life. In the shelter that is enough reason for her to be euthanized.


Well Honey has a few angels watching over her and helping her along the way. She is still fearful but is also very trusting. She is no threat to anyone.





I've noticed the strangest thing when I work with Honey. She will not face me which is not strange but she will back up into me with such pressure I almost fall down!













She wants the contact and touch, she will sit on my lap facing away from me but isn't brave enough to face me.

Don't think I've ever seen a tail tucked up under a dog so tight in all my days! So, Honey gets lots and lots of tail work. We use the saying "Calm the tail and calm the dog", I'm trying to create a "Happy tail" to get a "Happy dog".






Lastly there is Charlie! Charlie is a Boxer & Greyhound mix puppy.

He has been adopted out twice. Not sure why he was returned the first time but the second return was of no fault of his own. It was not a match made in Heaven. Charlie was sent home with an older woman and her small dog. A jolly happy puppy like Charlie needs a sturdier family and when he knocked over the visiting grand kid it was back to the shelter for him! He is a big puppy so these things are bound to happen.

When Charlie was brought to me for his session tonight my friend wished me luck and hoped he would calm down enough to get the work. It told her No Problem and put on his Thundershirt!






With puppies like Charlie and Bullet I let them play and then do some touches, then off to play again. It seems to be a good balance for them. No way are they gonna hold still for a long session. Moments, not minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment