January 16, 2010

Prancer!




Prancer has been a dog of interest for quite some time. I was attracted to Prancer when I first saw him because he was frightened being in the shelter yet at the same time wanted interaction. I was not allowed to work with him at that time because he was a stray and I don't have access to these dogs until they become available.

In Prancer's case I got special permission to work with him right as I went out for shoulder surgery. Then just as I was getting back into my shelter work Marley had his injury. So today was the day!

At first he was curious about me but a little reserved and cautious. That lasted maybe a minute. We made our proper introductions and got to work. I set up Cones and a "Star" so we had a little mini confidence course.

Prancer was very accepting to the TTouches I did on him but he seemed more interested in the activities going around us.

A quick change in the game plan worked wonders.

Prancer seemed to think I was nuts the first pass around the star and weaving through the cones but really liked the treat at the end.



We did some clicker training focusing on ignoring the treat and looking at me to get one, targeting to my hand and quick sits and a down. From there we went into more touches and a game of fetch and some cuddle time.



Then the process started all over again, the course, clicker training, touches, ball & cuddle. Each time he was more sure of himself going through the star and cones.

On our last pass (#8 or so) we even had another dog in the Interaction area next to us barking and playing. At first Prancer was watching the dog more than me. I changed my body posture to get more on his level, called his name and said "Lets go" and off he went through the course for a final time.



Prancer is a very smart boy that seems to really enjoy learning. He is going to make someone a wonderful companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment