February 1, 2010

The Momma's and the Puppies




Yesterday was another great day at the shelter. I honestly think that volunteering to help animals in need can sure cure what ails ya.

The first Momma I worked with was Sophie a smaller Rottweiler who has a ways to go before she regains her pre-pregnancy figure. Judging by her underside and its relation to the ground I'm guessing this was not her first litter. Thanks to the shelter it was her last.

I spent time with Sophie just wanting her to feel good. Sometimes I do TTouch that way. Not really trying to release tension or help with an ailment or behavior. Sometimes I just want the dog to feel loved and pampered. That was my wish for Sophie.



Sophie seemed to enjoy the Zig-Zags and the Belly Lifts. The Ear work turned her into a melted pool of butter. Doing it over again I'd have used my really long wrap but instead I used my regular one and she ended up with a 1/4 wrap. It had to feel good to have things lifted up where they belonged.



Sophie is a love sponge and showed her appreciation with lots of kisses.

Next I spent time with Shelby. This Hound mix is quite the character. She LOVES tennis balls! Oh yes she does. She and I played a little ball and then broke for touches...then more ball.



As I tried to take pictures of Shelby I found she was really drawn to my camera! To get pictures of her I'd throw the ball and try to get a shot before she was right on me again.



I think Shelby would be the perfect dog for a young and athletic guy that would like a fly ball partner! I do believe she'd think she had died and gone to Heaven.

There has been a little Pit Bull puppy I have had my eye on for awhile. He was in the stray area of the shelter but I really did not like his picture. The way he was being held up was far from natural and he had this red piece of cloth around his neck. It was all wrong.



I've watched Duke move through the system and vowed to do a little photo shoot with him so his web page could be updates. Sunday was his day.

Duke is a beautiful little boy with his right ear partially cut off. What is it with people cutting dog's ears like that? I just don't get it. Anyway, Duke and I did some TTouch and a photo shoot.



Today I got the word that he was adopted! He now has his own forever parents and let me tell you they are very lucky to have this good little boy.

I saw little Reese crying for attention in her crate and instantly fell in love with her little face. Reese is a couple months old and is fighting Demodex Mange. Right there I decided she needed some TTouch. When we got to the enclosure where I work with the dogs she was jumping all over, bouncing and kissing me. VERY cute for a puppy but not so cute when she grows up to be a big Pit Bull girl. No, not good.


Reese had her first clicker training session and she is as smart as they come. As I loaded the clicker (click and treat for nothing to establish what the clicker is for) she thought that was a great game. I was very careful not to click and treat unless all four were on the floor.




What a quick study Reese was! It wasn't 3 minutes before she realized that jumping on me resulted in nothing. No verbal command to get down, no eye contact, no brushing her off...she received absolutely nothing. And not only that, but she realized that if she just stood there not doing anything clicks & treats magically appeared.



In the 20 minutes I spent with Reese she learned not to jump, "look at me", targeting my hand and started to volunteer sits. I captured this behavior and will work on it more next time if she hasn't been adopted.

Of course puppies like to play and Reese is no different. It was pretty funny when she snatched my keys off my TTouch case and ran with them. The more they jingled the more fun she had.



Reese is a fun, silly and very smart girl.

Where is that darned Lotto ticket when I need it? Add Reese's name to the list of pups I want to adopt when my ship comes in. :-)

Days like this it is difficult to leave the shelter. I have a very peaceful feeling and a desire to work on every animal there.

I'm constantly in awe that the more TTouch I give away the more enriched my life becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment