April 13, 2010

Shelter night!

When one door closes another is thrown wide open. Today was one of those days.

My standing Tuesday appointment with Iggy was canceled so I took the opportunity to volunteer at the shelter. One of my very favorite things to do is to work with these special dogs looking for homes.

I was asked to work with Clyde because, and I quote "he has more issues than Time magazine". I didn't know what these issues were and I didn't know the breed. I only knew he had issues and where to find him.

Meet Clyde!



It isn't often I am asked to work with a tiny one like this and I always find it to be fun. As you can see I was very excited to try out my XS Thundershirt! I did try the XXS but it was a tad too small. That got me wondering what the heck fits in the XXS, a hamster?

I found Clyde to be a loving dog that wanted to sit on my lap and was very receptive to the touches. I tried some clicker training with him but he really wasn't all that interested. Clyde would rather be loved on and get lots of touches.

The little ones are so different. I may only use one or two fingers very lightly to do the work. As far as finding more issues than Time magazine, somehow I missed them. I only found a little dog that loves to be loved.

Malcom is a dog I've been watching in the "found" section for some time. I was drawn to him because of this picture:



I have no idea what happened to this sweet boy's eye and I've never seen anything quite like it. He has been in "found" for such a long time. Today I finally met him. He is available now and this is the picture the shelter is using for his page on the website!!!! Nooo, not good!

Not knowing if his eye was still this way I wasn't sure what to expect but either way Malcom needed a new photo.

I was so happy to see that this damaged eye is a part of his history. Malcom and I went outside and had a wonderful TTouch session with lots of play and kisses.




As you can see Malcom has come a very long way. It is now evident why he had not moved to the Available page before now. He was having a makeover!

Malcom is the sweetest dog and we had so much fun playing. If I didn't have 3 boys at home already this little man would NOT be looking for a home.















Is he "stinkin' cute" or what??? Something tells me he will not be homeless for very long!

















Jackson was next. His intake picture spoke to me as well. What a sad looking boy!


I had to see for myself if Jackson was indeed as sad as his picture said he was. If so, we were going to have to change that.

Turns out Jackson is a very happy boy. He is one good looking Chocolate Lab x Pit boy that thinks he is a lap dog!

Photographing Jackson was a bit of a challenge because he either wanted to kiss the camera or he wanted to plop down on my lap and kiss me!


Think this may compel more folks to come and appreciate this big 'ol love bug than the other picture? I hope so!

It is dogs like Clyde, Malcom and Jackson that continue to draw me into the shelter. I go there with the idea of helping them but it is me that walks away with a full heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment