October 10, 2010

Aurora's Time Line - Not Mine

Animals are my teachers and Aurora is quite the Professor!  She has been doing so well and exceeding our hopes for her that I decided I'd try to raise the bar for her.  As I thought about her next steps along her journey I planned to fit her in a Step-In Harness and using the Super Balance Leash I'd lay out some poles for her to walk through.  I expected to lay them out rather wide and start trying some ground work with her.

Today it was 92 degrees by 9:30 am and Miss Aurora really wasn't too interested in working.  She was interested in lovin' (TTouches) and kisses.



I fit Aurora into a pretty green harness and hooked up the Super Balance Leash.  As soon as I had her all set up she began to spin wildly. 

We regrouped and tried again.  The funny thing is that she would spin if we held the lead properly.  Guiding her with the wand and holding the lead like shown here she did reasonably well.

Mostly Aurora wanted to be loved on.  There could have been a few reasons for this.  It could be that she was more interested in having having fun since she IS a Lab Puppy!  It could have been that it was hotter than the blazes today.  Or it could have been because Aurora is very sensitive in the body and that the new harness and new leash configuration were a bit too much for her. Whatever the reason we switched gears.

When working with dogs sometimes you have to "chunk it down" into smaller steps.  If the entire set up is too much (which is my best guess) then we break it down and get her used to the new harness first.

If the Lab Puppy wants to play then play we will.

Using a beloved squeaky toy I would get her to chase me in a pattern around the cones.  Aurora was able to play this game and follow me in a pretty straight line.

She has the most adorable way of walking.  She prances like a Lipizzaner Stallion.  Aurora can really lift those feet.  I'm thinking that will come in handy when we are able to progress to some ground work.



One thing the shelter would like Aurora to learn is how to be happy in a crate.  So far she hasn't gotten to the part in the "How to be a Dog" manual that talks about a crate being their safe place and their den. 

Given what you have heard about Aurora - her desire to be with her people and her love of PLAY I would appreciate ideas from all you readers!  What fun, game-like ways can you come up with to teach Aurora to love her crate? 

Elizabeth and I would love your input and I encourage you to post a comment with a suggestion for this little girl.

1 comment:

  1. What about some "find it" games for her to learn to use her nose. I wonder if she is following her nose, she might forget about spinning! We hide Easter eggs for our pups and they love that! And then they can eat the hardboiled eggs, shell and all. You could try hiding things under boxes and bowls too.............

    ReplyDelete