June 15, 2009

Session 1 - Portland, Oregon with Kathy Cascade



I just returned from my first 6 day Ttouch training session! To say this was a powerful and moving experience doesn’t even begin to describe what went on during that time.


I went into the sessions with a strong focus on the medical supportive care aspect of the method and came away with so much more. Being already familiar with what Ttouch can do for an animal’s health and mobility I was more focused on the training aspect. Not only does Ttouch bring physical balance it also brings emotional stability as well.


When evaluating any method of training we were asked to consider the “3 R’s”


• Results – Do you get the results you are looking for?


• Respectful – Is the method respectful of the animal?
Are you comfortable with the method and can you respect yourself using it?

• Relationship – Does the method strengthen your relationship with the animal?


With Ttouch I can absolutely answer YES to each of those questions. The method is based on respecting an animal’s feelings and giving them choices. Yes, you read that right. They are to be given the ability to make certain choices for their self and as a trainer you need to respect that and your relationship will be strengthened and trust will develop. When an animal trusts you they are more at ease to work with you.


Of course we worked on all of the Touches, Body Wraps and such but my challenge area is the wonderful leashing techniques presented and learning to work with reactive dogs on a lead. I made significant progress in this area but I need to practice quite a bit more.


The highlight of my training was working with a Puppy Mill dog named Monte. He was taken in a raid the day before. Just a wee little poodle with bad sores and terribly frightened. He allowed me to do body work on him, apply a body wrap and introduce him to a step-in harness and a super balance lead. In no time we had this shaking little guy walking across a balance ramp with confidence. It felt good to be instrumental in giving him tools that will serve him well as he moves through the system.





I can’t wait to go back and learn more. I love the kindness and gentleness with which this method influences animals. It is amazing to watch that real changes in health, behavior and confidence can come in this manner and you don’t need to be harsh to get the desired results.
With any luck I’ll be headed to New Jersey to train directly with Linda Tellington-Jones for a week in May. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll head back to Portland in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment