June 25, 2009

A Win-Win Situation

I totally think I could I could make a career out of volunteer work if I could only win the lottery. Getting in at my local shelter is just what I needed to build my skills and work with many different dogs. Talk about getting baptized by fire! I love it.

Can I just tell you that doing TTouch on those shelter dogs made my day? Well actually it made my WEEK. Woke up to rain and was bummed that the one day in months we have moisture is the day I'm working outside at the shelter....but the rain stopped on the way in! How cool is that???

I worked with (2) Staffordshire Mixes, (1) Rottweiler, (1) Shepherd Mix, and (1) Long Haired Chihuahua Mix. They ranged in age from 1 ½ to 7 years old. Personalities ranged from “think Tigger” from Winnie-the-Poo to very insecure. Originally I planned to be there 2 hours. Ended up being there 3 ½ with a promise to see them again tomorrow.

One other thing I want to say is the body wrap helped each of these dogs in very different ways. It calmed Tigger enough for me to actually get my hands on him and gave insecure Elektra a little self-confidence once she realized I wasn’t going to let her chew it off.

A new friend at the shelter emailed me after I got home that someone has donated a full set of agility equipment that will be delivered and set up June 8-9!!! If it does not include a labyrinth I will see about trying to buy the stuff to make one and donate that on my own.

Lessons learned:
• I need to order a leather double-ended lead for working with the BIG dogs! My nylon one won't quite do.
• A ttouch and a talk can make a big difference in a dog’s day…..and mine
• Body wraps ROCK!
• Never wear tennis shoes with deep tread around dog poo!

No comments:

Post a Comment