September 19, 2009

Good-Bye for Now



Wednesday was my last night at the shelter for a bit. It is time to focus on getting ready for my trip to North Carolina where I'll be taking my 3rd round of classes~ I'm amazed to think I'm almost at the 1/2 way point! Then when I get back I'm having shoulder surgery and the necessary down time associated with that.

So, Wednesday I wanted to spend time with my extra special ones and say "Good Bye" and enjoy some quality time with them. My hope is that when I return in about 5 weeks they will be happy in a forever home. This may be the last time I see them.




First was My Alfie. Alfie and I sat outside and I told him how much he has taught me about trust. Alfie taught me that trust must be earned and isn't always offered freely.

He taught me that when trust is earned it is all the sweeter.




I don't know if Alfie will be there or not when I return. He is kept in the back and away from the public eye since he likes to "bounce" in his kennel. Such a shame because it is quite adorable when he bounces because he does it with joy and happiness all over his face. How could anyone resist?

Then I spent time with Sam (Magnum).


He has healed up so nicely and really needs to have a foster home.



The shelter is a tough place for a dog that was ripped to shreds by other dogs. Not a pleasant place at all. My hope and prayer for Sam is that he finds a foster home soon where he can work on his confidence and learn that not all dogs are out to hurt him.


I had intentions of visiting with my shy boy, Echo. But Echo was out on a nice walk with a volunteer. He knows he is loved and my guess is he will be in a home before I return.

After saying 'Bye' to Alfie and Sam I needed my heart lifted. What better way to lift the spirits that spend time with puppies?

These two are less than 2 months old and so full of their selves. I played with them in their Kennel and just enjoyed the wild abandon of two very silly pups.



I first met these two on Labor Day. To be honest I'm very surprised these puppies are still in the shelter. But even as babies Pit Bulls suffer from prejudice. Such a shame. A bigger shame is there are still folks breeding more and more Pit Bulls and the shelters are just filled to the brim.

It seems that regardless of how sweet the dogs is they take so much longer to adopt out.


It was time to walk through Adoptables and greet each dog by name. This is something I always do when I go in. "Hello Maggie, you are looking beautiful today", "How's my Dolly Lolly girl?", "Hey Petey has anyone told you how handsome you are yet today?".....and so it goes, kennel by kennel.

Then I looked in this one kennel and look what I saw!



I'm going to interject here.....again. PLEASE spay and neuter your pets!!! These Chihuahua mix puppies are 4 weeks old and were just spayed! OMG, they should still be with their Momma and here they are shaking and scared in a shelter with HUGE dogs all around barking and carrying on.



Of course I couldn't resist stopping and giving them love....and touches.



I wanted so badly to bring these two home with me.



The last thing we need is more dogs. I'm glad Marley is not accepting of all dogs as it keeps me grounded. Otherwise I'd have already adopted Duncan, Alfie & Pumpkin and most likely two little Chi' pups! Thank you Marley :-)



It was so difficult for me to leave. So much can change in 5 weeks. It almost felt like someone had sucked all the breath out of me as I closed the door to DA-1 and walked down the hall to go home....leaving my friends behind to find their way in the world.


3 comments:

  1. You're doing such great work, I was surprised to be reminded that you've only had the two sessions. I think this work is like any artistic talent. You can be taught to paint, but you have to be born a Picasso.

    You inspire me. Who takes all those wonderful pictures of you working with the dogs. Really helpful to see that work, great illustrations.

    Have a great time in NC, you'll probably see Juel, although I think she's graduated. Give my love to EJ and wishing you a speedy recovery on your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, Jodi. TTouch is my passion. When I do the work I can't really explain it. It is almost like putting my hands on the animal and just "knowing" what to do and then not even remembering the tiny details when we are done.

    Most of the shots of only dogs I take myself. Sometimes it is the client taking photos. At the shelter I've taken a few of me and the dog myself....or I may grab someone walking by and ask them to take it; like with the 4 Chi pups. In the beginning my hubby took some.

    In a nutshell? Anyone walking buy and willing :-)

    My memory is mush and pictures really help me.

    ReplyDelete