September 17, 2009

Some days you're ON and others you're OFF





Sunday I was off. Funny that "very off" followed "very on".


So you ever wake up and think to yourself that you should change your plans but have no reason why you are thinking that? I woke up that way on Sunday. Nothing was wrong but my gut said not to go to the shelter.


Since time is getting short to where I won't have a choice about going to the shelter.....I went.


I started off with an easy one. This little guy was clearly unhappy in his crate. He was shaking like a leaf. He didn't have a name on his door so I know very little about him.





This boy shook so hard I had to keep readjusting the plan. The blanket on the grass where I usually work was too scary. There were dogs walking by.......big dogs at that! And of course there was a car pulling into the lot from time to time so that wasn't good.


I put a wrap on him (note to self: Cut down some wraps to "Tiny Size"). He seemed to like that okay but still not secure enough. So we hot footed it over to a secluded area and did some touches. I had him wrapped in the wrap and in a beach towel and did touches on him through the towel at first. Ah, FINALLY something he liked! I knew if I kept trying different things we'd get it. And "get it" we did! He was officially a happy boy.


Never did learn his name for sure. We have one little guy that looks pretty similar to this one that is 4-mos old and named Kit. The other I was considering looked even MORE like this guy but was 8-years old. My little guy seemed more 4-mos old than 8 years, but looked more like the 8-year old and also lifted his leg to pee. Do 4-month old pups lift their leg???


The dogs were wild and wound up! Serious fool around behavior from all of them. What the heck? Even my shy, pancake Maggie found her spunk. Working with fool around dogs is difficult for me. I'm out of my league and need some tools in the tool box for this.


Edie Jane? You out there?

If you are I hope and pray you will teach me what to do with a fool around dog in North Carolina! I need help :-)


So one by one I took out dogs to work on ..... one by one they yanked off my arm and I took 'em back.


The day was not a total loss though.


I had a nice little session with Echo in his kennel. He started off as a shy boy and now is still a bit shy but loves to be touched and cuddled. He likes to bury his head into me and get his touches. A sweet little man.



The other good thing was the 8-year old pup was adopted that day before I could make more comparisons to "My little guy".




So with so many things that were off I have to wonder if it was worth going to the shelter that day. Should I have listened to that little voice and stayed home? I may have to answer that with a "Yes" - however, Echo and the Little One may have a different answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment