November 26, 2009

A Day of Thankfulness


This year I have so much to be thankful for and there is a fullness in my life and heart.

Over the last few days I have taken some time to think and reflect on the past year. There seems to be more different in the past 12 months than at any other time in my life.

Embracing TTouch, its philosophies, and all it has to offer has changed me in ways I never imagined. What started out as a way to help our precious Sammi walk again without surgery has fully integrated itself into every aspect of my entire being.

This past year I set out to become a TTouch Practitioner. I have a vision of teaching workshops in shelters and to individuals that want a kinder and more loving way to work with their pets. In the beginning I had doubts that I could do this. What do I know about dogs other than our own 3 French Bulldogs? How will we fund this undertaking? How am I going to leave my family for 6-7 days at a time and go all alone to places I've never been? And, again, I would ask.....what am I thinking???

One by one I discovered that the funds will find me, I can rent a car and find my way around a place I've never been, and I can LEARN what I need to know. A very important thought hit me one day. Maybe lacking a strong history with animals just might be more to my benefit than to my detriment. I've not had time to develop bad habits. I didn't have to go through the times when rough treatment of animals was the norm to get them to "do what they are told". I came in as a clean slate with a desire to learn.

The only time I had been in a shelter was when we took Pierre, now 6 years old, to his puppy class. I now spend 5-6 hours a week helping shelter animals while they help me learn to read them, to listen to what they are telling me. I've learned that Pit Bulls are just a dog, just like any other dog....only more misunderstood. I've worked with tiny baby Chihuahuas and a big beautiful English Mastiff, and I think just about everything in between.

So here we are 8 months after my first class. In March, 2010 I plan on taking the magical session 4 in Portland, Oregon (again) with Kathy Cascade (again) and become certified as a Practitioner in Training just one year after I set foot on my new path. Who would have thought?

Steve has been fantastic all along the way. I couldn't do this without his encouragement and support. He is so good to sacrifice so we have the money for classes, travel and equipment. He minds the home front while I train, work in the shelter and take on private case studies. I couldn't ask for a better partner and friend in life.

I'm in awe of the gift that Linda Tellington-Jones has given the world. Linda has truly taught us that we CAN talk to the animals and they CAN talk to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment