November 7, 2010

Back from Portland!

Buster!
 
TTouch Training in Portland was so much more than I dared to dream.  So many loose ends were tied up for me and I'm feeling renewed and ready to hit the ground running!

Edie Jane and Spirit Dog, Barney



Edie Jane was our instructor and simply fabulous!!!  No two ways about it.  I love the way Edie Jane is so detailed and helps really refine our technique and understand the reasons we choose to use specific tools. 








Lauren McCall did a fantastic demo on a Bunny Rabbit.  Bunnies are so delicate within their digestive system and sensitivities to heat that I'm amaze the rabbits I had as a kid even survived! 

Here Lauren is putting a body wrap on this little bunny.





My new friend Chuck and I worked on Mr. Whiskers.  He was adopted out before we had a chance to work with him a second time.  Yeah, Mr Whiskers!!!



Client day is always a favorite of mine.  I was thrilled to find out my client was a 7 year old American Bulldog x Pit Bull.  Buster has severe arthritis and luxating patellas. Turns out he is quite fearful in public.  That was the main concern we addressed.

First time Buster lays down in a public place

On the first day of class we all selected a dog we wanted to visit several times during the week.  I picked Bella, part of a bonded pair.  As my new friend Brigid and I stood before the dogs I selected Bella because of her strong resemblance to Alfie.  Oh my was she a handful the first day. 

Bella, the Beautiful
Bella is strongly bonded to her friend, Buddy.  Bella also is very "forward" on a leash....in other words she dang near ripped my arms off  :-)

The second time I saw her was during a visit with my friend, Dennis.  Dennis did a full observation of any tension patterns she may have had and this time she was much more at ease and would even leave Buddy for a short time to investigate something and come back.  Very nice!

Love Buddy's freckles

Finally on the last day I put her in a body wrap and a harness and took her outside without Buddy.  Through some more advanced leash work, and a few helpers, we helped Bella find her balance!  She was walking beautifully in a configuration we call a Homing Pigeon.  This has been a technique I've struggled with since day one.....not any more.  Thanks to the beautiful Bella I've got it!

When the final class was over I paid them a visit in an interaction area.  I thanked both of them for all they had taught me.  A woman in Adoptions told me that a very nice lady spent time with them and placed a hold on them.  I do hope this lovely pair of dogs finds their forever home soon!


Wishing you well, little Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment