September 18, 2010

Aurora


A friend of mine asked me to take a look at Aurora.  Jan mentioned that Aurora has some neurological issues and it is believed she was hit by a car.

I have worked with many neurological issues and I enjoy the challenge and also the changes I see in a dog after a TTouch session.  Typically I use wraps, ground work and scrunchies on their ankles.

When I arrived at the shelter I set up my ground work and went to get Aurora.  Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw.

Aurora had serious troubles walking from her kennel to where I planned to work with her.  She spun in counter clockwise circles and fell down a lot.  It was almost as if she were Bambi trying to walk on the frozen pond.

Aurora is missing her right eye and is deaf.  I'm sad to say my first thoughts were wondering if we were doing the kindest thing for her.

Once we got outside Aurora was able to walk without falling down so much but she still spun.  It was clear that ground work was going to be way too hard but we tried some anyway.

I tried to put a body wrap on her and she got worse.  She spun so violently that it was impossible to get scrunchies on her feet.  Aurora and I went to the sheet I had laid out and I sat with her and she leaned into me very calmly as I did touches all over her body.  TTouch can awaken unused neuro pathways and if ever a dog needed new neuro pathways to light up it is Aurora.  I did Abalone touches all over her head.  Python lifts and Raccoons on her body.

It became very clear to me why Aurora is being given this opportunity to find a special family that will love her the way she is.  She is a complete Sweetheart, very happy and shows no signs of pain.

We got up and tried again and she still made her circles.  Head low to the ground and body spinning as she tripped over her feet.  Nothing I've used with other neurologically impaired dogs worked.  Not sure what to do I used my TTouch wand and led her with the wand about 6 inches in front of her and she followed it!  Aurora was able to walk relatively straight and didn't trip.  Something about having an object close to focus on was making a huge difference for her.

Aurora needs to be in a loving foster home that can help her improve as much as she is capable of.  The right home for Aurora will come along.  Somewhere there is someone that will recognize her for the sweet girl and loving dog that she is.  Helping her with her physical challenges will be a small price to pay for such a girl.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you discovered a key element that can help Aurora. Giving her the wand to focus on seemed to bring her awareness to what was in front of her & allowed her to follow the path created! Maybe there are some variations that can be created & used to keep her attention (brain, nervous system) focused and responsive.
    Great session for you & Aurora.
    Marge

    ReplyDelete