September 22, 2010

Kitties!


Well all my case studies are done for my week of training in Portland, Oregon.  My final five are ready to go.  I've worked with so many dogs it is rather difficult to pick the ones I want to turn in for credit.


One that was an easy selection was my case study on another type of animal than I typically work with.  One of my BFF's just got 2 adorable kittens and was gracious enough to allow me to practice working on cats using her kitties Willie and Nillie.

This case study was different for me in lots of ways.  First, and most obvious, is that they are cats and not dogs.  Also they are babies with no behavior or physical issues that needed influenced.

 Celeste and I practiced touches of all sorts.  I taught her to work on ears so she would be prepared in times of stress or injury.  I worked on feet and toes to help with nail trimming.  I would do some lying leopards as the kitties ran past me in play.  I did touches with the kitties in towels and also in baskets covered with a towel. 


One thing I wanted to try was a body wrap.  Having never wrapped a cat before but knowing the difference it makes with dogs I gave it a try.  Nillie was quite tolerant of the wrap but would leap high in the air once it was on.  After a few touches she was fine with it.   Typically Nillie is the independent one that is always on the go.  This was the first time she laid relaxed in my lap. 


The wrap didn't phase Willie in the least.  He was fine with it off and fine with it on.

My heartfelt thanks to Celeste, Willie and Nillie for being such willing participants in my studies!  

No comments:

Post a Comment