September 7, 2010

Carlee and Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD)

Carlee getting TTouch to help her tight belly

Intervertebral Disc Disease or "IVDD" is a progressive disease which causes hardening of the disc material that is supposed to cushion the vertebrae.  When this material hardens it can bulge and rupture. 



Our Sammi has IVDD and his episode resulted in weakness and inability to use his back end.  Through steroids, crate rest and Tellington TTouch Sammi healed up without surgery.



Marley is a great example of what happens when there is a severe and violent rupture.  Marley had intense pain and full paralysis of his back end.  Surgery was required.  Tellington TTouch played a significant role in his recover.

Carlee is a Doxie that has IVDD and has had some pain and weakness in her back end. She is on conservative treatment with steroids, crate rest, acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Tellington TTouch.  Dr. Weingardt of Animal Healing Center in San Diego is her Holistic Vet and I'm doing her Tellington TTouch.


When a dog is in pain they tense up and this tension can show up in a number of places.  For Carlee she tenses her abdomen and I work on her tummy to help release that tension.

In addition to working on her tummy I also do specific touches along the sides of her spine that both reduce inflammation and release pain.  To help Carlee maintain her awareness of her body and to help her feel connected with all her parts I do "The Tarantulas Pulling the Plow".  This is a wonderful touch that works on dogs like Carlee and Sammi that still have feeling.  For dogs like Marley who had lost use and feeling it helps to reignite the neurotransmitters and help regain sensation.



Cooper loves TTouch and will take every opportunity presented to make sure he gets his fair share. 



And he is always appreciative of the focused attention that TTouch provides and isn't shy about saying "Thank You".












 

I'm certain with all the loving care that is being lavished on Carlee she will be better than ever in no time at all.

5 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you find this infomration helpful. Dogs in pain are near and dear to my heart. It is my desire and commitment to help them be as pain free as possible :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciated your post, This would really provide the great information. Thanks for the post.
    Single Hand Tricycle Deluxe
    Deluxe Tricycle Handicapped

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete



  4. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    Institutional Vissco Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation

    and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    Vissco institutional 200mm all Wheel Wheelchair



    ReplyDelete