September 26, 2010

Aurora progresses

Aurora walks best when concentrating on something in front of her.

Last week I discovered that Aurora moves easier and in a more organized fashion when there is something in front of her to follow.  The volunteers that worked with her this past week all used this to her advantage.  Some held a towel in front her her and others used cream cheese.

Today a couple volunteers met me bright and early at 8am to learn what they could do to help Aurora along her journey.

The first thing I did with Aurora today was use her existing harness and my double ended lead to create the Super Balance Leash.  This is a leash configuration that hooks on to her harness on the opposite shoulder of the dog from where I would be standing.  It is threaded through a loop on the front of the harness and the other end is fastened to the two rings on the back of the harness.  This configuration helps keep a dog in balance and is something Aurora needs.


The walk from the OK Corral to the Interaction area went quite nicely.  Aurora adjusted well to the Super Balance Leash and followed my wand.  There was some spinning but no falling down.  The volunteers commented on how nicely she walked with me.





After some TTouches to her face, head and all along her body to release some tension we got to work.

I tried using either end of my wand.  Aurora didn't have a preference
I had set up cones and encouraged her to walk along the outside of the circle, in the direction of her spinning.  Using the theory that I'd have her do something that comes naturally to her (counter-clockwise circles) but in a more controlled and organized manner.

When it was clear Aurora needed a break we would stop for some touches.  Tarantulas Pulling The Plow is her favorite.


Although she was overwhelmed when I tried a body wrap on her I decided to try again today.  I gently draped the wrap over her shoulders and she was fine.  After that I brought it in front of her chest and just held it in a mock 1/4 wrap.  Later I was able to tie it.  She wore the wrap about 1 minute before she got the wiggles and I took it off.  This was a huge step over last week.


As we sat there and I showed how to do the touches Aurora began to get mouthy.  She nibbled in my fingers, hands and knees.  She was gentle but this is not a habit we want her to develop.  I decided to put a calming band on her and bring some awareness to her mouth.  She took to it rather quickly and stopped mouthing.  Not only that but she was able to walk very straight with the calming band.  I'm really not sure why this is worked the way it did.


I made a calming band out of one of the thin wraps I had in my case that has Velcro on the end.  This wrap can be left at the shelter or with the volunteers that are working with her.


With all the love and attention Aurora is getting from people that really care about her and want to help she is seeing remarkable results in just a very short time.  You couldn't ask for a more loving and precious dog.

 A special Thank You to the folks at the shelter that are giving Aurora this chance and to all that are willing to work with her and help her be all she can be.....and more.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Linda.... Heather forwarded this to me so I could see what you did for Aurora. I hope you will include me in future posts for our shelter critters. I learned a lot! I worked with Aurora this morning and I definitely think she is trainable. She does like cheese and would follow my hand fairly straight for a few steps just to get a tiny nibble. I also found that walking down the hall with the wall on her left and me on the right (with cheese)helped her straighten out for a little bit. I heard she's going to foster... hope you can continue to work your magic with her! Thanks so much,
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - thanks for all of your time and effort with Aurora. She is such a sweetie and we are all rooting for her progress and the happy life that she deserves.

    Sincerely,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marsha - I'm glad you found the post here! Typically what I do is post links to my blog updates on my Face Book Page and on Google Buzz.

    I'm glad Aurora is doing so well and there has been such interest in her.

    Unfortunately once a dog gets into foster care it is very rare that I hear from the foster parent. I think they get into a routine and don't schedule time for TTouch. I will work her into my schedule if the foster parents follows through. I never push myself on them though.

    Looking forward to our class on Saturday! Praying for a cool spell :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lani Butcher SmithSeptember 27, 2010

    Linda, I apologize for not meeting with you on Sunday 9/26, as I had planned. I had other duties that morning, bathing DM dogs to get them out for walks during the current Parvo outbreak. Thanks for your work with Aurora. I hope the foster family takes advantage of your help. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,
    We're all pulling for Aurora. I have a 4 month old yellow lab pup that already outweighs Aurora by 4 pounds! When I first saw Aurora, it made me realize just how lucky (spoiled!) my Annie is. Thank you for working your miracles with this sweet and deserving little dog!

    Lori/Nite walk volunteer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    After the wonderful training with Aurora and you on Sunday, I took her into my home as a foster. I have been doing the TTouch exercises you showed me with her. She is doing very well. I would love to have her continue with you if you have time. I can bring her to EHS or you are welcome to come to my home in Escondido. I will e-mail you my number and you can let me know what works best. I am so impressed with what you do and the healing power of the hands and the heart. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth!

    I'm thrilled to hear Aurora is in a home enviornment with someone that is committed to her improvement.

    We will chat and find a time that works for both of us for Aurora. There are so many ways we can work with advancing her.

    Tomorrow I'm teaching a class at EHS from 9-10. It is more geared towards the general population of dogs at the shelter but it would be great general informatio for you. Hope you can join us!

    ReplyDelete