May 9, 2010

Hoarders

Yesterday I did an evaluation for a Powerpuff Chinese Crested named Skylar.

Skylar was rescued by my friend Nichole about a year ago. Prior to that he lived with an animal hoarder. Skylar is under socialized and frightened of the world in general and tends to mark his territory. Nichole has done an amazing job in the year that she has had him. I actually expected his issues to be far worse that what I saw.

It is so easy to get angry at hoarders for the mental damage that is done to these dogs and typically the lack of veterinary care too. Studies have shown that many hoarders are previous victims of violence and / or sexual abuse. They start off with a genuine desire and need to protect and save these animals. They can't say no and saving one dog turns into many, many more than they are able to deal with. So although we can understand how one thing led to another it is so important to reach out to the authorities if you suspect a hoarding situation so that all involved can get the help they need.

Now, back to Skylar.

Skylar was quite timid but with an offer of an excellent treat he was not too timid to approach me. A very good sign. Using calming signals with Skylar and avoiding direct eye contact he was happy to let me do touches all over his body. I was able to do a nonthreatening Chimp Touch on his head, mouth, body, hind quarters (where frightened dogs have a lot of tension) and his legs and feet. I was impressed with his tolerance. He was actually relaxing rather than just being too afraid to protest.





I think Skylar would be a wonderful candidate for a Thundershirt and we found the Extra Small fit him just right. Skylar was quite accepting of the shirt but unfortunately in the process of putting it on him we ended up "cornering" him and he became very stressed and would not allow touches.









Time to regroup! Skylar told us he was uncomfortable and it was our job to fix that. So outside we went! From this point Skylar was less receptive of my touching him although I could touch his head and face. The rest of Skylar was now off limits.







This is where I turned the work over to Nichole. I asked her to do lots of mouth work on him since there is a connection between the mouth and emotions. Skylar did great outside with Nichole doing the work.

As Nichole and I talked she said that Skylar is afraid of the camera and will look away or leave as soon as she breaks it out. I took out the camera for the first time after putting on the Thundershirt. Connection? I'm willing to bet on it. The other thing was that Skylar usually won't accept touch to his back end. She didn't want to say anything to influence my work with him and just watched. Nichole was pretty pleased that Skylar allowed the touches where he needed it so badly.

I won't be taking Skylar on as a case study until after I get back from Santa Fe in July. I want to do some research on the best ways to help Skylar overcome his fears between now and then. I'm sure I will come back refreshed with lots of new ideas after training with Linda Tellington-Jones in July. In the meantime Nichole has lots of touches she can continue on Skylar and she knows how to find me between now and then.

I've seen some amazing responses using the Thundershirts and if you are considering getting one in the next two weeks please enter the code "2ndchance" in the Discount Code box when you order your shirt from Thundershirts. When you do 50% of the purchase price will go to help Doxi's in need. Doxies just like Princess Cami and her friends! This special run May 10 - 24! Help your dog while you help the Wiener dogs!

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember where I read it but many dogs find the camera to be intimidating because it is like a big eye staring at them. Many dogs look to one side or lick their lips when their picture is taken. Classic calming signals-maybe The Calming Signals book is where i read it!

    ReplyDelete