May 15, 2010

'Nilla's 2nd Session

Today I saw Nilla and her family again. She was still fearful of me when I came in but quite better than last time. After a few minutes I decided to put a Thundershirt on her and see if that reassured her any. Once again I was in awe over the influence the Thudershirt has on a dog's behavior or emotions. I should be used to seeing this but I imagine it will all seem new and fresh to me every time.

Instantly Nilla became relaxed and actually laid down while I talked with Bill & Tina. Nilla is doing better on her potty training and has a very reliable "sit". Not bad for such a young puppy. I was able to do touches on Nilla today without any fear response. I showed Bill and Tina how to do Mouth Work, how to work on her Tail & Ears.

One thing that was unique about today's session is I worked with their son, Cole. I showed Cole how to do some Chimp touches and how to be very calming and gentle with Nilla. Cole is Nilla's main target for jumping and biting. When Cole was very softly touching Nilla's muzzle and she was licking him it was a good time to explain how puppies test things out with their mouth like we do our hands. It doesn't take much excitement for a puppy to go from licking to biting. Cole understood and was very good to make adjustments where needed.

I put Nilla on my lap as we sat on the floor and she was more than accepting to the touches, she was welcoming. Then we took the shirt off to see if she would remain confident or if she would revert to being fearful. It seemed to be a mix. Her body language said she was not as comfortable as she was with the shirt but she was really trying and she was interacting.

Bill questioned how to get Nilla to drop the ball when they are playing so I showed the steps to teach "drop it". Nilla was great to engage with me. This is when I discovered how good at targeting the had she had become in the last two weeks! She was dead on each time. Bill has been working with her It really showed.

We were unable to duplicate the jumping and biting behavior and that isn't something we really want to set up so we talked about how to handle this when it happens next time. I consulted with Dennis Fehling a fantastic positive trainer and a Tellington Touch Practitioner in Training in Oregon. Using Dennis' technique we talked about making available a time out area upstairs and one downstairs. We would use a sound to replace the word "no" and if she repeated the behavior he is to say "too bad", pick her up and put her in time out for 2-3 minutes. When she is quiet let her out but don't acknowledge her. It won't take too many times before she learns that biting the boys is unacceptable.

Bill and Tina are ready to put the new things they learned in practice in the up coming 2 weeks. I look forward to hearing how things are going!

No comments:

Post a Comment