May 1, 2010

'Nilla - Puppyhood



Isn't 'Nilla (Short for Vanilla) precious? 'Nilla is 12 weeks old and doing what puppies her age do....jumping up and nipping! Unfortunately the family and most especially the two very young boys in the family really don't appreciate this behavior. My goal is to help 'Nilla become a more calmed puppy and teach her lots of other wonderful ways to get attention.

Today when I arrived little 'Nilla was quite shy and hiding behind her person at every opportunity. Working in a large area where she could avoid me wasn't working so well. When we moved to a smaller area I was able to toss her treats and she would reluctantly take them. I was very surprised when I reached to pet her she was terrified of me and let out a scream and piddled.

According to her owner this is not a behavior they have seen in the 2 weeks she has been there. Although we aren't sure why she was frightened of me, one thought is that she smelled dogs on me and was fearful because she had been sternly barked at this morning. Maybe, I'm not sure. She most certainly isn't afraid of her family.

Bill and I reviewed the paper work I brought and I tossed treats to 'Nilla. We discussed food for her and picked out a nice high quality, grain-free diet that will get her off to a good start in life.

It was time to try touches on her again and I contained her in front of me and she was more accepting of touches. Oddly enough she was very accepting of touches on her head, face and mouth.

Thinking a body wrap would help calm her I used a 2" wrap and did a 1/4 wrap but didn't tie it. After 20-30 seconds she wanted it off and I complied. Later we tried again and as I contained her on my lap I very slowly put the wrap on her and she was fine with it. I allowed her to walk about with it on. Soon she laid down and was completely relaxed. At this point I was able to work her entire body, feet, face, head and mouth.

We did a minimal introduction to clicker training. We "loaded the clicker" and did some very easy "touch".

That was enough for today!

I'm constantly reminded that although I may have an idea in mind of where I want the session to lead the dog may have another idea. It is my job to meet the dog where she is and with tenderness and patience get her set up for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment