July 11, 2010

The Simple Things

Yesterday we had Client Appointments. As the dogs were introduced by their owners I knew immediately I wanted to work with Muchacho. Muchacho is an older dog with some type of neurological disorder that causes his back feet to cross when he walks and has difficulties balancing. In addition he is frightened of fireworks, thunder and noise from near-by concerts.

My goal for Muchacho was to help him walk in balance and see if he could walk with his feet squarely under his body.

I engaged the help of his owner, Jodie, because Muchacho was nervous around me and not sure he wanted me to work with him. I asked Jodie to do a couple touches on him and at that point he decided I was okay after all and walked over to me and allowed me to work on his body.


Muchacho had never worn a harness before so it was important to go very slowly when introducing him to a body wrap or a Thundershirt. At first neither were acceptable to him. Jodie and I took turns draping one or the other over his body.


Eventually I was able to get him into a Thundershirt and a Super Balance Leash configuration.








Between the equipment and walking Muchacho through the labyrinth he was able to walk more confidently. The wrap/Thundershirt and the Super Balance Leash helped him to feel and organize his body but one very simple addition immediately allowed him to uncross his back legs.......hair scrunchies!



















I hope to hear from Jodie in the coming days to hear how Muchacho is doing!

Thank you to Jodie and Muchacho for this very rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment