August 7, 2010

Confidence Work at the Shelter

What a day of fun we had at the Shelter!  Steve came with me and provided the help I need to set up the Playground of Higher Learning.

Morty was too nervous to walk

I hadn't planned to work with Morty today but a shelter volunteer asked if I would help him.  Morty is a very, very sweet and loving puppy but he really lacks confidence.  Although Morty was too nervous to walk he was quite comfortable being carried over to the Playground of Higher Learning - also called the Confidence Course.

Morty gets some ear work
As soon as we started I knew Morty would be different from any dog I've worked with in the labyrinth.  He was just too nervous to go.  We started with ear work.



Eventually Morty would take a few steps and quickly sit.  I used lots of treats to get Morty to take a few more steps.  We graduated to tossing treats on the ground up ahead to get him to go a little further.  Thankfully Morty LOVES turkey liver  :-)

After about 20 minutes we called it done for the day.  At first I had to carry Morty back toward the shelter but then I sat him down and encouraged him to walk.  He walked about 50 yards on his own!  I was very proud of how much braver he was in such a short time.



Next up was Frankie!  I've seen this adorable Chow x Shar Pei mix before.  Poor Frankie has had a goodly amount of eye surgery and a nasty bout of demodex mange.  The first time I saw Frankie I though he growled at me.  I never worry about a growl and just take it to mean that the dog is not comfortable with me and I need to change something. Well, turns out he was not growling at me!  Poor guy just sounds like that when he breathes!  He is a complete angel. 



Frankie loved his Tellington TTouches and snorted and smiled the entire time.  What fun it was taking this little monkey through the course.  He caught on so quickly and really paid attention to me.







You know, Frankie didn't hesitate one little bit when it was time to do the ladder.  You would have sworn this wasn't his first rodeo!








Darling Trooper has been at the shelter too long and he really isn't happy about that.  In fact word has it he is getting a bit depressed.  I thought some fun in the Playground of Higher Learning and some loving TTouches would be perfect for him.



At first Trooper was not focusing on me and really had no idea what I was asking of him.  I admit from a dogs point of view it is a bit odd. 






Well on about the 3rd pass through the course Trooper really started to get it. 

He focused on me and waited for directions.









 

By the end of our session Trooper was even doing the ladder with a stranger near by watching him.












One of the things I really love about this work is the dogs are so different for me.  I never saw any sign of depression in Trooper.  He was fantastic! 

I believe the dogs appreciate that I speak their language and understand them.  It makes them comfortable that I mimic proper dog body language to them, never force them to do anything but make it fun so they want to engage with me.  They get TTouches as rewards or encouragement and they know they have my undivided attention.  By the time the session is over, I have theirs too!

No comments:

Post a Comment