August 8, 2010

I had a serious "Jack Attack"!

Could he be any sweeter?  Nope!

Saturday I had my first official session with Jack.  Yes, we met at the shelter last week and I worked with him but I still consider this one our first.

Jack is settling in his new foster home quite nicely.  Gone is the timid boy I met last week.  He is 100% puppy, full of kisses and all "wiggly butt".

The big plan for the day was to get Jack fitted into a TTouch Step-In Harness and a double ended leash.  We decided to let Jack select the color of his harness and I spread them all out on the floor.  Although at first he thought he wanted Navy Blue he quickly returned it for the Bright Blue.  Not only is Jack ultra precious he has a fantastic sense of color and fashion.

After fitting him in his harness his foster parents and I took him outside and practice using the Super Balance Leash.  We practiced "let's go!" & "and wait".   Jack caught on quickly.  Since he has had such serious trauma to his head and face it is safe to assume that his neck has had trauma as well.  I don't want Jack doing any pulling that will irritate his neck.  The harness is perfect for him.

I was so happy to see that Jack's eye is getting better.  The swelling is going down a bit and you can actually see his eye now.  The abscess is draining and getting smaller.  Jack will be having a full medical evaluation on Thursday, August 12.  As bad as his eye and the abscess are what really concerns me is his leg.

The angle of Jack's left leg is NOT because of how he is sitting.



My concern is that Jack is going to be a really big dog.  I'm not a Vet but I have to wonder how this badly healed leg is going to handle all the growth to come.  How will the bone grow?  How will it support his weight?  What about all the calcium build up on the inside of that leg?  These things concern me.  Right now we don't know if the Shelter will recommend and provide surgery to fix his leg.  We will know more Thursday if the Vet recommends surgery to fix it and if the shelter has the funds to do it.

With all that this little boy has been through, and the incredible attitude of love he has, it is my hope he will receive everything he needs to make up for what has happened to him.

Please keep Jack in your thoughts and prayers as very important medical decisions are made that will impact the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment