August 18, 2009

Alfie


Alfie is absolutely precious beyond words. He started off very fearful. Because he was found as a stray we don't know what happened to him in his short little life but we know it was not the sweet tender things a puppy should grow up with.


Alfie was what one would call Fear Reactive. He would cower, lunge away from you, protect his kennel with a vengeance...and unfortunately, he would try to bite.

When asked to work with Alfie I had some fears. All I could think of is the mass hysteria you hear in the media. I'd been brainwashed like so many others. I also didn't know if I had the skills to work with a dog that would most likely bite me (as I'd been told).


I decided to put my TTouch to the test! I got out my Language of Peace and came armed with boiled duck hearts with garlic. A girl does need to establish her worth after all :-)




Now Alfie knows where the goodies are kept!

Using calming signals to show Alfie I was no threat to him I got him to take treats from me. After he realized I was one of the good guys he was okay for me to do touches on him. It took about 10 sessions for him to be completely comfortable with me touching his back end or tail. He was very protective of that area.






Cynde Van Vleet, my mentor, taught a TTouch workshop one Saturday and some gals from the shelter brought Alfie. He was fearful getting into the car but had a great time at the workshop! He was a star.




Alfie had no idea how to play. His first attempts were very awkward as I didn't know what he was doing. Actually I thought something had frightened him.


Well about a week ago when I went to see Alfie - he didn't want TTouch.
Alfie wanted to play and play he did!





Of course, I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment