August 18, 2009

Ranger



Ranger is a dog with a bad rap. Actually I don't know that Ranger has done anything any worse than other dogs in the shelter. Unfortunately he was on the short list and one misstep and we wouldn't have Ranger.


Any how............


I talked to Cynde about his situation and asked for her guidance. She graciously offered to come help me with him. I wasn't sure, based on his reputation, if I he was out of my league or not.

Ranger likes most people but not all...........likes most dogs, but not all. Not a serious crime by most standards. Heck, the same could be said about me too except I haven't met a dog I don't like.


I got there before Cynde and thought I'd get started doing some touches on this wild beast that likes to eat people like me for breakfast.






Then Cynde came and she worked him in the Labyrinth. The first pass through Ranger was not really with us and his attention was everywhere BUT where we wanted it. By the 4th pass through he even noticed that one of the poles that constructed the Labyrinth didn't match.

He was able to walk toward a dog (fence between us), make a turn, and then head up the other way with his back to the dog, turn again and then head toward the dog again. He did excellent. This teaches him he has choices he can make. He doesn't have to lunge and bark at the scary thing but he can walk away and nothing happens.


Ranger was blessed to be welcomed into a foster home. This is the chance he needed to make it. Originally I planned on working with Ranger and his Foster Dad as a case study but from what his foster family reports he is doing excellent and really dotes on the family dogs.....especially a tiny little one.

There goes my case study! :-)


I hope Ranger's story goes a long way for other dogs that find theirselves in his situation. I thank the Shelter for allowing us the opportunity to show them what a good boy Ranger is.

No comments:

Post a Comment