August 30, 2009

Friends from the Shelter

I am honored and blessed to encounter so many special friends at the shelter. There have been so many in such a short time.

Today I worked with Dolly who has been there more than a year. What stands in the way of a sweet girl like Dolly getting adopted? I just don't get it. We took her to the Big Dog Adoption event and she didn't even get a 2nd look. But Dolly has many friends at the shelter and she is a happy girl. As my friend Kate always says......"There's a lid for every pot". I hope and pray we find Dolly's lid.


Dolly

Dolly tends to be very submissive and will even do submissive urination from time to time. I am careful not to do TTouch on her when she is on her back. I wait. Sometimes that means we don't get any touches in because as soon as I reach for her she rolls over on her back. Today was different. Today Dolly was all about her TTouch session and was very happy to play by my rules. :-)

After Dolly I had the opportunity to work with Natasha. She is a year old pit bull mix and as precious as they come.


Natasha

Her picture is a little funny because she just wanted to sit in my lap and get touches. I couldn't get far enough away from her to get a decent shot. We had a nice session. She had been barking and was unsettled in her crate. I worked on her and she relaxed. Such a funny peanut. Anytime I asked her to sit she would sit on my lap! Soon "medical" came for her as today was her "Spay Day". I was told someone was seriously looking at her yesterday. By the time I had gotten home she was no longer on the website. Looks like she has her new home. I'm happy she will not be a long-term resident like Dolly.

No shelter visit is complete without working on "My Alfie". He has been on my mind a lot this week. Maybe I feel our time is coming to an end soon. Alfie is one of those dogs, like Elektra and Duncan, that will always reside in my heart.

"My Alfie"


Buster is one of those dogs that really needs TTouch but I have trouble working with him. He is very wild and strong. 100% fool around. Because I'm not allowed to walk him, and I really don't want to, I worked with him in his out door enclosure. He isn't a bad dog....he is just a strong and unruly puppy. I tried my best but once again Buster got the better of me. Covered in mud from his jumping on me I gave up. What does one do with a boy like him? Must find out.


Buster


I was able to spend time with Sam today and was thrilled at how good his wounds are healing. His back is completely scabbed over and the hole has filled in. A week and a half ago we were looking at a huge infected hole left by a chunk of missing "Sam". The worst of the worst.....the inner back leg is also coming along nicely but obviously needs more time.


Soon he will be going into foster care. I'm not sure if the new foster home will welcome my assistance but it is offered.


Sam

Tomorrow I go talk to the surgeon about my upcoming shoulder surgery. I'm really torn about it because it needs to be done. If I'm to pursue working with dogs I need good arms to do it with. But the timing is just awful - I will be away from the shelter for quite some time while I heal and rehab. The other thing bothering me is the surgery interfering with my TTouch Training.

This time tomorrow I should have a better idea what is going to happen.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda, I can tell you've done such a lovely job with Sam and all the other dogs -- take care, Sarah

    ReplyDelete